Sunday 9th August 2020
Today, we want to encourage you to pray with others or by yourself. Below are some suggestions for prayer as well as some passages to encourage and give you words to pray.
Praise God for his character and his works
- Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God? Psalm 77:13
- Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:1
- For the sake of your name, Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Psalm 25:11
- Help us, God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake. Psalm 79:9
Thank God for his mercy and grace which we receive in Christ
- But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
Pray for our city and our mission to make disciples of Christ
- But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 1 Peter 3:15-16
Pray for our leaders and governments
- I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Pray for those who are ill
- The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. Psalm 116:5
Pray for those suffering from a recent tragedy
- Consider those among us suffering from the loss of loved ones.
- Consider those around the world.
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
Pray for a desire to read and hear God’s word.
- How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Psalm 119:103
Bible Reading (included): Jeremiah 13